Road Trips

May 24, 2011

This week I'm taking a break from my regular sewing posts to share with you one of my favourite things to do when the weather is nice.  I just got back from a week long road trip to visit my sister Emily and my brother Grant, and it was a great time.  My husband and I really love a good road trip, and now that we aren't battling snowy roads, it's the perfect time to set off on an adventure or two.  One of the things I love about traveling by car, is the flexibility you have to stop whenever you feel like it.  Okay, let's be honest here, you can stop whenever your three year old needs to use the potty (every five seconds), or your baby is screaming, or both.



On this most recent road trip we drove through some awesome rural areas in Northeastern Pennsylvania.  



Rural Pennsylvania = Awesome (Photos taken by Adam Dynes)
































We crossed the border at Niagra Falls, but the fog was crazy and we couldn't see anything but mist.  Luckily I've been a few times.



Niagra Falls Skyline (Photo taken by Adam Dynes)


On our drive back to New England, we drove through the Adirondak Mountains and Lake Placid.  It was really beautiful, but I must say it was stunning last fall when I did the same drive in late September and early October.



Near Lake Placid (Photo taken by Adam Dynes)


Driving on I-87 in Upstate New York.  The cracked windshield is classy right? 

(Photo taken by Adam Dynes)



On a nice day we often load everyone up in the car and go for a drive.  Right now we are lucky to be close to some fun cities, nice beaches, and beautiful natural sites, but we've done this everywhere we have lived.  Some of my favourite memories are from road trips.  In college, Emily and Grant and I took a memorable west coast trip that included the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, the beaches of Orange County, downtown LA, San Fransisco, the Redwoods, the Oregon Coast, and a million hours of driving.    



Emily in the Redwoods in Northern California


When I set out on an adventure with my family, we are always sure to bring our camera, a backpack carrier for the baby, a stroller for city excursions, and a cooler full of snacks and juice boxes.  Oh, and a portable DVD player.  How did people previously entertain their kids in the car for long stretches?  Because we all know not all the parts of road trips are fun (especially for little kids). 



Where is your favourite place to go on a road trip?  Are you mostly into doing day trips, or do you like the adventure of longs drives and camping on your route?  What else do you like to do as a family when the weather turns nice? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...