Healthy Cookies

August 4, 2011

Whenever it rains, my daughter wants to make cookies.  I usually agree, especially in the hot summer; rainy weather is the perfect kind of weather to bake cookies in.  Sometimes, however, when a request for cookies is made I think: "No!  I don't want another dessert in my house, just lurking on the counter, teasing that I'll never loose that baby weight."  Oh yeah, and I don't think a steady diet of chocolate chip cookies is very good for my kids either.  It is times like these that I pull out the Healthy Cookies recipe. 

This recipe was found in a well-loved church cookbook that my mother gave me.  It has so many good recipes it in, but this cookie recipe really is the humble star of the book.  I love that it contains whole wheat, but still tastes yummy.  I'm not going to lie, it is not a decadent dessert, just a little something to satisfy that sweet tooth.  It is pretty versatile as you can add whatever you like for extras - I chose craisins and chopped pecans.



Healthy Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
3 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup additive of choice (raisins, crasins, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips)

1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs, one at a time.  Beat until mixed very well.
3. Add oatmeal and flour, then mix in additive.
4. Roll into balls, and slightly flatten each ball.  Then bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

I still plan to experiment with applesauce and bananas to reduce even more of the fat and sugar and make it even more natural.  Does anyone have a "healthy treat" recipe that they use as a go-to?  Please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...