Spring Fun List

April 9, 2011

This month's list will focus on Spring, things from the natural world, books, and Easter.  I'm giving you enough activities to last all the way to June, so I'm calling it my Spring Fun List.  Go here to check out and print off the full list.  I'd love it if you leave a comment saying that you are using my list so I know how many people are using it.
Here are some examples of what you'll find in the Spring Fun List:
Cornmeal Spelling

My daughter has had so much fun playing with cornmeal and drawing letters using her fingers.  "Look Mom!  I made another 'O'!"


Easy Art Projects

My daughter loves experimenting with glue and paint, but sometimes I want a new twist on her favorite art work.  In the Spring Fun List I give you lots of new and simple ideas that require very little (if any) prep. work.

We had fun making "track art" earlier this week.
Book Lists

I can't say enough about how much I love children's books.  We bring home a huge stack of new books from the library every week.  In the spring fun list I share favorite books, great activites to do with them, and a challenge to read with your child the New York Public Library's 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know.

This week's library stack.
 Mini Book

Not only does the Spring Fun List include lots of ideas for books to read, it also gives a few ideas about making your own books.  I want to share with you a quick tutorial on how to make your own simple mini book without glue, tape or staples. 


This is a trick that I learned in University (see Elementary Education majors do learn something!), and I use it all the time. 

1. Start with two sheets of paper.  In my pictures, I use two different colors, but the book can be all the same color. 

2. Fold each sheet in fours, and cut each sheet in half so you have four sheets, each folded in half.  You can set aside one of the sheets for now.

3. Choose one sheet (the blue one in my image) to be the base.  Unfold the paper, and loosely fold it in half the long way (hotdog style).  Cut along the middle of your original fold, but not all the way to to ends (as shown in my image.  Cut only where the white line is.)

4. The other two sheets will be your add-ins. On these sheets (red in my image), unfold the paper, and then loosely fold in half the long way.  Cut the two sides of your original fold, leaving the middle uncut (cut where the white line is on my image).  

5. So now you will have your base cut in the middle of the fold, and your add-ins cut along the outsides.

6. Now, take an add-in sheet (red) and roll it up.  Open up the base, and slide the add-in sheet inside.
Repeat this with as many add-in sheets as you want.  The more you add in, the more pages your book will have.

7. You are ready to write a book!




There you have it!  There are lots more ideas in the Spring Fun List so be sure to check it out.  Now get off your computer, and starting having fun with your little ones.  Please let me know if you've downloaded and used this Fun List.  I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...