How Art Looks at My House

February 1, 2012

My four year old loves art.  As I have mentioned before, art for little ones should be about the process of creating something, and not about the final product.  The other day we did some potato stamping.  I intended it to turn out like this:


That's my artwork, by the way.  Usually when I set up an art project for my daughter, we each work on something.  My daughter's artwork didn't quite look like mine did.  It usually doesn't.


In fact, paint mostly ends up all over her hands and arms or in a mash all over the paper.  I am okay with this.  In fact, I love it.  Doesn't mashing paint everywhere sound like fun?  And fun is what I'm going for 99% of the time.

Fun goes hand in hand with learning.  My little one year old takes such a scientific approach to art.  Everything is an experiment.  Paint goes on her face, mouth, and gets examined closely in her little fingertips.  Occasionally paint will go on the paper.  ("Paint" for toddlers should, in my opinion, be not only non-toxic, it should be homemade.  The concoction pictured is made from flour, salt, water and food colouring.)

So how does art look at my house?  It looks messy.  It looks like learning.  It looks like fun.  And I think that's just how it should be.

How does art look at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...