Gardening

August 12, 2012

It seems that we have taken an unofficial break from blogging this summer.  I have been consumed by maintaing my garden lately.  Every afternoon, and every evening I am out in the garden, mostly harvesting.  I love it.  There is something so satisfying about planting a seed and watching it grow into something that can sustain you and your family.  Most of the planting work was done by Mr. Emily, but now that the work is more rewarding, I am in! 

We are currently housesitting and live on a big lot with a giant garden and many perennials that bear fruit.  (Think rhubarb, raspberries, nanking cherries, chokecherries, gooseberries, chives and winter onions.)  Here's a peek at some of the things we have successfully planted.  


Potatoes

Beans

Tomatoes

Zuchinni on the left, on the right squash, cilantro, lettuce, cabbage and even soy beans!

My favorite part about having a garden is being able to harvest my meal seconds before I eat it.  Here are some of our recent garden meals.

From the garden: Potatoes, beans and zucchini.
From the garden: Lettuce, spinach, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and spinach and zucchini on the pizza.

It is obvious why summer is my favorite season!  I hope that you are enjoying just as many lovely fresh foods too this summer

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Good job with your garden like always. I like the potatoes. It's a good idea. You will have a lot of food preservation to do. I have to do my tomatoes... Well it's so good to eat fresh food!

Katie and Van said...

Em! your garden is amazing! :) Way to go. I'm mourning my loss of garden this year. We thought we'd be moving before harvest time, so I didn't plant one :( Who knows when we'll live somewhere with the space again soon. I'll just have to learn to patio garden really well! Yummy food. doesn't it feel so good?!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...